Our brand's values are aligned to our planet and our mission to leave the earth better than we found it. This appreciation for nature and its resources has fueled our commitment to honor the environment by manufacturing our products in an environmentally conscious facility; sourcing high quality fabrics and materials from companies that share our green vision; and, by using recyclable or reusable materials in our tags and packaging. We also recycle and reuse our waste and textiles.
Our packaging consists of:
- Biodegradable paper mailers made with water based inks and more than 50% recycled materials.
- Our care/hand tags and thank you cards are made with recycled paper and are also recyclable.
- Our tissue paper and stickers are FSC certified, compostable and biodegradable.
- Hygienic liners are in our bottoms for protection and are made of paper with non-toxic adhesives.
- Each swimsuit comes with a reusable 100% cotton muslin bag.
- The logos for our swim bags are purchased through a company that offsets 100% of carbon emissions from shipping. This means that for any carbon emissions released into our atmosphere as a result of shipping items, the company invests in projects that reduce carbon emissions by the same amount.
- We are proud members of the Eco Packaging Alliance, a global reforestation program, which has planted more than 9 thousand trees to date.
- We've significantly reduced our textile waste to only 4 gallons per year during the past two years.
- Other textile waste is stored in our facilities. The amount of textile doesn't exceed 12 gallons. With our new "zero-waste" proposal, we're using our textile scraps to create scrunchies, face masks and other accessories in order to reduce our textile waste.
- Our paper, carton or plastic waste has been recycled through local programs.
- We operate in sustainable facilities that rely 100% on solar energy and rainwater. Our energy consumption was at 10%, but on May 2020 we received our first bill with zero petroleum-based energy consumption!
Although we are continuously trying to find ways to support companies that produce sustainable materials, we haven't been successful at finding high-quality sustainable alternatives to some of the products we use (e.g., thread + swimwear elastics). For this reason we've partnered with ONE TREE PLANTED, to promote chemical cycling in order to offset carbon emissions from other waste and shipping.
Your purchases were already doing a lot of good for the environment and now, they will have an even bigger impact. Feel good about your purchases because not only will they last a lifetime, but they'll also allow you to enjoy them in a healthy planet.
SO WHY TREES?As explained on ONE TREE PLANTED, trees help clean the air we breathe, filter the water we drink, and provide habitat to over 80% of the world's terrestrial biodiversity. Forests provide jobs to over 1.6 billion people, absorb harmful carbon from the atmosphere, and are key ingredients in 25% of all medicines. Did you ever taken an Aspirin? It comes from the bark of a tree!
Trees absorb harmful pollutants and release clean oxygen for us to breathe. They also absorb atmospheric carbon dioxide and reduce the effects of climate change. Trees also capture rainwater and reduce the risk of natural disasters. Without trees, forest creatures would have nowhere to call home. Sustainable tree farming provides timber tu build homes and shelter, and wood to burn for cooking and heating. Food-producing trees provide fruit, nuts, berries, and leaves for consumption, and guarantee health and nutrition.
Mental health is of great importance and patients with rooms overlooking trees recover faster than those without the same view, because tree coverage helps reduce stress, anxiety, and allow us to reconnect with nature. It's shade also helps protect our skin from the ever-increasing harshness of the sun. Trees also help cool the planet by sucking in and storing harmful greenhouse gases and releasing oxygen back into the atmosphere. In cities, trees can significantly reduce overall temperature, making cities a healthier, safer place to live.
Our mission is to keep supporting other businesses that implement sustainable practices so that we can reduce our carbon footprint and leave our planet better than we found it. We are committed to making conscious and informed choices throughout all areas of our company.